Saturday, October 30, 2010

Religious Identity in Jobnik

Yes I know what you are thinking.  I am just rehashing another post that I did about a week ago about the same subject, but I believe that religious identity plays a very big part of this story.  It is very important to the whole of Miriam Libicki as a character.

Throughout the graphic novel it is completely obvious that she does not conform to the traditional Jewish ways.  For one, she is not exactly shy when it comes to the subject of sex.  She seems to be very open to the fact with others.  Then again that can be said with a lot of people in this day and age.  This is defiantly very different from what many Orthodox Jewish people would do.

There is also the fact that she wears more revealing clothing then the other girls in her religious area.  Especially with low cut shirts compared to shirts that have to add lace in order to cover up more of the neck.  Defiantly quite a difference.

However, there are at least two instances where she actually does pray and goes to temple.  This would usually seem out of place with this sort of character.  However, this shows that know matter what you do, religion can still be very important to a person.

Even though she may not seem very religious in a way she is religious.  We all need something to turn to in dire times.  I guess religion is what you make of it, though we usually conform to a major one in the end.

Until next time.

1 comment:

  1. My thought here is that military persons generally become quite religious or even adopt religion while serving. I know many men and women in the military and I can remember their time during basic training in which many came out not only changed but also baptized. I think we become closer to who we are when faced with extreme adversity. Perhaps it is a safety issue but I have seen first hand that many soldiers become more pious while serving overseas or even on active duty.

    ReplyDelete