Saturday, November 6, 2010

Waltz with Bashir

I think that I speak for most of the people in the class when I say that I became thoroughly depressed when I saw this movie.  Granted, I do not know much about the Lebanese war in 1982, but war is always depressing in terms of death and violence.  That is just the way of war I guess.

(I do not seem to know a lot according to these blogs,)

Anyway back on track.  Being a person that enjoys action movies, the ones with car chases and epic gun fight sequences, this movie hit me harder then any of those could.  Though not as graphic as some of those have been, this just hit me over the head and actually depressed me.  I think it is due to the fact that the story is autobiographical that made it so depressing.

The part that hit me the most were the Sabra and Shatila massacres.  It is hard to imagine that people can be capable of such cruelty to do such things.  Being that we studied the death camps not too long ago, I can see a lot of similarities between the killings.  The only difference real is that these killings happened in a few nights and not over many years.

I also got angry at this point too.  The Christian Lebanese Phalangists had no reason to slaughter those innocent people.  Sure, the group blamed the entire people, but that is not a good reason to kill hundreds or thousands of people.  There is no reason to do those things, but such is war and how it works.

No comments:

Post a Comment