Saturday, November 13, 2010

Bible Stories in Comic Form, is it a Good Thing

I know for a lot of us, not all mind you, do not just sit down and read the Bible, or Torah or whatever your religion has as the holy book.  For some of us, it isn't exactly exciting to read.  Sure, there are some interesting stories about men being swallowed by whales or ones that teach us important lessons about truth and things like that.  But that can be boring for some of us.  On top of that, some stories can be very hard to understand due to the language that they use.

Many people prefer visuals to just reading words on paper.  Pictures can help to understand what is happening in the story for the reader.  That is where comic books come into the picture.  Comic books can help people to understand their holy book much better.

There has been at least one attempt at doing this.  The book of Genesis was made into comic form by R. Crumb.

I know that this could not work with certain religions that consider iconography to be blasphemous, so for them it would not be wise to make their book into comic form.  For the others it could possibly work.

These books could get children to start actually reading their own holy book just so they could see the original source.  It would not be tricking them into religion.  It would just be giving them an alternate means into it.  When this actually happens, if it does, we would see an influx of religion into the world as we know it.

3 comments:

  1. The language IS very disorienting at times! In high school I had religious classes my parents made me attend, and it quickly became clear that the way the teacher presented the material changed everything for me. When we sit and read without thinking, it doesn't do anything FOR us.

    Also, I do not associate reading holy books with religion (the verb of believing) at all. Rather, I consider it more like a good English class: you read something, it raises curiosity within you, you do "further reading." Personally, my beliefs regarding religion/spirituality and "my religious text" are completely separate entities.

    ReplyDelete
  2. sorry if it's preachy, not intentional

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can say that it is sometimes scary how religion can become with children and how much it can take over their identity and even cloud the curiousity of childhood. Having said this and having no freedom as a child to read anything religious other than prayer books or the Bible I think the alternate approach is the way to go.
    I have two daughters and I encourage them to branch out and learn all they can about everything. I don't think there is necessarily a right or wrong but a preference. I agree that it is about bringing about the initial curiousity. Personally I rejected any form of faith prior to becoming a religious studies major and even after the journey am not sure where I land in the grand scheme of things.
    I really believe that there is a severe importance of multiple mediums in any facet of learning and religion is no different. IF we cannot deal with the views placed before us it often means perhaps we take such offense because we are not yet comfortable in our own beliefs.
    No many how many pious and faithful people I know I can say they are usually open to some interpretation if comfortable in their own faith.
    Visually stir and awaken young minds, let them question and figure it out. Everything means more once you yourself understand and believe in it!

    ReplyDelete