Saturday, November 20, 2010

Megillat Esther Part 2

To be honest, much of what I said about Megillat Esther last week is true for this week.  The story is still a very good one.  Lots of twists and turns for a story that is from the Bible.  It kept me completely enthralled throughout the entire reading.  Not all stories can do that to me.  Especially if it is from the Bible.  Not to say the Bible is boring.  Its just that I do not usually go and read stories out of it just for fun.  Though I should probably put it into consideration.

Moving on.  The story is the same as the first half.  Only it wraps up things really nicely. Also, the book has to be turned upside down and read right to left, almost like a manga issue.  I was so confused at this point the first time that I got to this point, but I eventually got it.  Being a reader of some mangas it just got easier for me to read.

I really do not know why the author made the book go like this, but I can make a guess.  I believe it to represent the chaos that ensued during the entire reading of the story.  It is just one more thing to add to the chaos of the interludes and the little people arguing amongst themselves during the outing of Haman.

Besides the story, I believe there should be a section of the book that gives the reference as to what some of the references are.  The family portrait would make sense to more people if that was implemented.

Still a good story.

1 comment:

  1. I didn't really understand why Waldman designed the book to be read upside down during the second half either. Your idea about it representing the chaos in the latter half is a good one! It certainly makes sense.

    ReplyDelete